There are ways in which more GABA can be produced in the brain naturally. Take for example, vitamin D. Vitamin D is something that our bodies produce naturally as well, however we need sunlight to do so.
In the same vein, those who are deficient in GABA may need a little extra nudge to get their bodies to produce enough GABA naturally.
Don’t let your body suffer as a result of poor eating habits or ignorance – follow the steps below to avoid this from happening.
The 5 Steps that Can Naturally Improve GABA Production
1. Watch out for other medications. The following medications are known to prevent your body from producing GABA, and they are: Xanax, Ativan, and Valium.
2. Drink some green tea. The anxiety alleviating amino acid L-theanine is found in green tea and appears to be an important element in the manufacturing of GABA. Green tea is also capable of providing its users with some other helpful benefits such as a faster metabolism, reduction in fat, and improved endurance during exercise.
3. Take natural GABA supplements (as opposed to synthetic GABA).
4. Eat some complex carbohydrates. Another amino acid that the body needs in order to produce GABA is glutamine. Glutamine levels can be increased by eating some complex carbohydrates.
5. Also eat these foods. Below is a list of foods that can improve GABA production in the brain when eaten:
- Whole Grains and Wheat.
- Rice bran.
- Beef liver.
- Tree Nuts.
- Oranges and foods high in citrus.
If you are suffering from a lack of GABA, eating right may be a way to improve the amount of GABA that your body produces. Be vigilant about what foods you consume and be sure to make an effort to change your diet if need be. Also be wary of medications which may interfere with GABA levels in the brain, and be wary of if they are actually doing more harm than good.
Photo Credit: Rune T
Article of interest: GABA for High Blood Pressure